Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

 About our Project

 Contact us


Major: Economics
Status: Editor

Interests include computers, music (have a huge collection from classics to rock and house), swimming, surfing the Net and chatting with my friends.

Where You Can Get a U.S. Higher Education?
Yuriy Rogov

Well, this is not enough. Particularly, just to say "college" is not only very general, but also unclear to some extent, as there are a number of various higher learning institutions. Most of you would find yourself in one of the below listed types of establishments, variety of which helps to choose from according to needed quality and type of education, as well as future major, campus location, and price you can afford.
1. State College or University: A state school is supported and run by a state or local government. Each of the 50 U.S. states operates at least one state university and possibly several state colleges. Some state schools have the word "State" in their names.
One might well end up in Minnesota State, Iowa State University or, with a little bit of luck, in Florida State or California State.
2. Private College or University: These schools are operated privately, not by a branch of the government. Tuition will usually be higher than at state schools. Often, private colleges and universities are smaller in size than state schools. Many of them are located in rural areas, often "in the middle of nowhere", which allows to get away of the big city to peace and comfort of mother-nature. Perfect place for academic life.
3. Two-Year College: A two-year college admits high school graduates and awards an Associate's Degree. Some two-year colleges are state-supported, or public; others are private. Two-year college or "junior" college graduates usually transfer to four-year colleges or universities, where they complete the Bachelor's Degree in two or more additional years.
4. Community College: This is a two-year state, or public college. Community colleges serve a local community, usually a city or county. Many of the students are commuters who live at home, or evening students who work during the day. Often, community colleges welcome international students. Many of these schools offer special services to international students such as free tutoring. Many community colleges also offer ESL or intensive English programs.
5. Professional School: A professional school trains students in fields such as art, music, engineering, business, and other professions. Some are part of universities. Others are separate schools. Some offer graduate degrees.
6. Institute of Technology: This is a school that offers at least four years of study in science and technology. Some institutes of technology have graduate programs. Others offer shorter courses. Most of you probably have heard about Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Boston, actually in a small town of Cambridge, which is right next to Boston. It is also known for Harvard campus and business schools.
7. Technical Institute: A technical institute trains students in fields such as medical technology or industrial engineering. Although the course may prepare you for the career you want, the degree may or may not be equivalent to a college or university degree. Some colleges and universities do not accept credits from students who have attended technical institutes and want to transfer. If you are considering a technical institute, find out if your government, and U.S. colleges and universities, accept the school's degree.
8. Church-related School: Many U.S. colleges and universities were founded by religious groups. The relationship, however, between the school and the religious organization may be very flexible. Sometimes, these schools prefer to admit students who are members of the sponsoring religious group. Nearly all these schools welcome students of all religions and beliefs. Traditionally, many church-related schools have required that students take Bible courses and attend chapel services. But these practices are becoming less common.

Return to the topics list

Calling home
Christine tells how to save money on international phone calls while calling home.
Get Internship in PR, Marketing, Management, Writing and Editing!
Featured Article
Online community of international students.
Our Newsletter
Your gateway to the latest info on resources specifically for international students in the USA.

Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2011, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved