Student Logo

Home - Login - Register - Help

Home - International Students Community
This is online community of international students studying in the USA.
The site where students help students to survive and thrive during their stay in America.
International Students Online

 About our Project

 Contact us


Major: International Economic Relations
Status: Workygirl

I am fond of chocolates, flowers, friends, loud music, watching movies, taking pictures and traveling!!!

How Your Close Peole may Visit You?
Olya Bezvushko

When you go to America to study at college, you get F1 visa. There is a visa that can help your close ones to come to visit you while you are studying in the USA or to stay with you there. It is called F2. This type of visa is a non-immigrant visa for dependents of F1 visa holders. Due to eligibility requirements, studentsí spouses and children may apply for a non-immigrant visa.

There are many other requirements for studentís family members for obtaining a visa. Such as importance of providing the sufficient evidence that the student has enough funds for the studies expenses as well as supporting the dependents. Those who want to join their close ones abroad must also present convincing evidence that they will depart the U.S. when the student's program ends. Spouses and children of students are allowed to study in the U.S. using the dependent visas.

The spouse and children may either come with the student or come later to the U.S. in status of F2 holders.

Dependents should go with the student to the U.S. embassy or consulate where they apply for the student F1 visa. It is also possible to apply later for the F2 visa based on the F1 visa status. It is always better to apply together for the student visa and for dependant one, so that all the documents can be verified at one time.

It is necessary to show birth or marriage certificates for establishing studentís relationship with the dependent.

The F2 status will be dependent upon the status as the F1 academic student. In other words, any change in the student's status will influence his or her dependents. In case the student looses his status, all of his dependents will loose it too. If the student loses his or her status, then all of the dependents will also lose their status.

When the student have J1 exchange program visa, than her/his spouse and children may pretend to get J2 visa to accompany the student by presenting a copy of the student's Form DS-2019. They must prove that they will have enough financial resources to cover all expenses while in the U.S.

Return to the topics list

Calling home
Christine tells how to save money on international phone calls while calling home.
Get Internship in PR, Marketing, Management, Writing and Editing!
Featured Article
Online community of international students.
Our Newsletter
Your gateway to the latest info on resources specifically for international students in the USA.

Web development and hosting provided by Netimpulses.Com
This site is created by students for students.
Copyright © 2000-2011, Abroadplanet.Com. All rights reserved